Srinagar, Jan 23: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Monday said the government is considering amnesty to second-time stone-pelters in the Valley. Replying to a question in the Upper House of Jammu and Kashmir Assembly, Mehbooba Mufti said, “The government is reviewing cases of second-time offenders in stone-pelting protests.”
Those accused of stone-pelting in Jammu and Kashmir don’t get government jobs unless the cases are withdrawn. In November last year, Mehbooba Mufti announced the withdrawal of cases against youths involved in stone-pelting for the first time. Cases against 4,327 youths were withdrawn.
The decision was taken considering the suggestion of the Centre’s special representative Dineshwar Sharma and the recommendation of a high-powered committee headed by Director General of Police (DGP) SP Vaid. The withdrawal of cases against these youths was a major demand from various sections of the society in the state.
As many as 11,290 stone pelters have been arrested during last two years in Jammu and Kashmir and were later released on bail, Jammu and Kashmir Assembly was informed recently. The amnesty is subject to the condition that the parents of the accused have to furnish an undertaking that the accused will not indulge in unlawful activities in future and will exhibit good conduct, Mufti had said.
The Chief Minister had started a process of reviewing cases against youths from 2008 to 2014 and 104 cases involving 634 youths were withdrawn within two months of her assuming power.