New Delhi: Hours after two workers of the National Conference (NC) were shot dead, nearly 15 candidates reportedly withdrew their nomination from the upcoming Jammu and Kashmir local body elections. As per a report,  15 withdrawals were made on Friday afternoon following the killings by suspected terrorists in Srinagar’s old city. Also Read - 'Can't Even Kiss My Wife', Says Farooq Abdullah, Laments The Pandemic

While speaking to leading daily Indian Express, Muzamil Jan, one of the candidates, from the Dalgate ward said that  she feared for her three children and hence she withdrew her nomination.  “My elderly mother-in-law was very frightened after the incident. We also felt that if workers of a party which is not contesting (NC) the polls can be killed, what support can I hope for as an independent candidate,” IE quoted Jan as saying. Also Read - BRO Constructs 110-feet Bailey Bridge at Kela Morh on Jammu-Srinagar Highway in Record Time

Earlier on Friday, two NC workers were killed while another was left injured in a terror attack which took place in Srinagar’s Karfalli Mohalla. Condemning the incident, NC leader Omar Abdullah had tweeted,”I cannot condemn strongly enough the murderous terrorist attack against three of my party workers. Nazir Ahmed Bhat (working in the office of MLA Shamima Firdous) and Mushtaq Ahmed Wani have been killed. Allah Jannat naseeb karey.” (Also read: NC, PDP Boycott J-K Local Body Polls). Also Read - Dal Lake Freezes, Srinagar Records Coldest Night in 30 Years, Administration Deploys SDRF Teams

He also prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured party worker saying,”Shakeel Ahmad Zangoo has been injured and is in hospital. I pray for his complete and speedy recovery. May the families of Nazir, Mushtaq and Shakeel find strength in this most difficult time.”

The party (NC) also demanded a high-level probe into the killing. “We demand a high level, time-bound and impartial probe into the incident. The guilty must not be spared,” NC president Farooq Abdullah said.