New Delhi, Jan 20: An Army jawan was martyred and two civilians were killed after Pakistani Army resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violation along the Line of Control (LoC) in RS Pura and Akhnoor sectors of Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday. The jawan was identified as 23-year-old sepoy Mandeep Singh, reported ANI.Also Read - Google Bans Several Malicious India-linked Domains | Check Full List
The Indian Army is retaliating and cross-border firing is still on, as per latest reports. This is the third consecutive day when the Pakistan Rangers heavily shelled civilian areas and border outposts (BoPs). Residents of border areas in RS Pura sector are also fleeing. Notably, more than 10,000 residents of border villages have during the last two days migrated from their villages, leaving behind cattle, agricultural fields and homes. Also Read - Fourth Covid Wave? India’s Daily Case Zooms Past 17K-Mark; Kerala, Maharashtra Among Top Contributor
Also Read - 5 Most Powerful Militaries In The World; Where Does India Stand
Speaking to news agency PTI, a BSF officer said,”Pakistan rangers targeted villages along the IB from Chenab river (Akhnoor) to R S Pura throughout the night in heavy unprovoked shelling and firing.”
The officer also asserted that Pakistan was targeting civilian villages to cause death and destruction and added that the BSF was giving them a befitting reply.
Authorities have decided to shut down the educational institutes for next three days along the IB and the LoC in Jammu region in the wake of increased tension along the Indo-Pak border.
Yesterday, two jawans and many civilians were killed after Pakistani troops attacked civilian areas and BoPs along the International Border and the LoC in four districts
Two civilians were injured in the ceasefire violation in Ramgarh sector, five in Hiranagar sector in Kathua and four in RS Pura sector in the Valley, PTI reported.
Earlier on Friday India had summoned Pakistan Deputy High Commissioner Syed Haider Shah and conveyed “grave concerns” at the continued ceasefire violations and deliberate targeting of innocent civilians by Pakistan forces.
The external affairs ministry has registered its “strong protest” at the loss of three innocent civilian lives besides injuries to nine other civilians in ceasefire violations by Pakistan forces on 18 and 19 January 2019 in Hiranagar, Samba, Ramgarh, R S Pura and Arnia sectors, an official release said.
More than 100 such violations have been carried out by the Pakistan forces on the Line of Control and the International Border so far during 2018.
“It was conveyed to the concerned authorities in Pakistan that deliberate targeting of innocent civilians was against all established humanitarian norms and practises,” the statement said.
(With inputs from agencies)