Srinagar, July 6: A Jammu and Kashmir police constable, who was kidnapped by terrorists on south Kashmir’s Shopian district on Thursday, was found dead on Friday in Kulgam’s Pariwan.

Javaid Ahmad Dar, a constable of the Jammu and Kashmir Police, was abducted from a local medical shop in Shopian on Thursday evening. He was a personal security officer for former superintendent of police Shalinder Mishra.

Dar’s bullet-ridden body was laid to rest with state honours in Shopian on Friday morning.

Javaid was kidnaped from Kachdoora where the security forces had gunned down five terrorists in an encounter in April this year.

A photo, apparently of a shirtless Dar suspected to have been taken by the abductors, was circulated on social media.

Following his abduction, the security forces had launched a massive search operation to locate the constable.

Dar’s abduction by terrorists came on a day when Home Minister Rajnath Singh was in Srinagar to review the security situation in the state and had held a high-level meeting with J&K Governor NN Vohra, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and other top police officials.

“The dream of a developed and prosperous Jammu and Kashmir will be realised when there is peace and normalcy in the state. It is our firm resolve to bring peace, stability and prosperity through an honest, effective and efficient administration for the problems facing the state,” a statement quoted him as saying.

The incident comes days after Aurangzeb, a rifleman of 44 Rashtriya Rifles who was posted in Shopian, was abducted Pulwama by terrorists and later his bullet-ridden body was recovered on June 14, a day before the holy festival of Eid.

Aurangzeb was proceeding towards his home to celebrate Eid with his family when he abducted in broad daylight from a vehicle. After his abduction, the Jammu and Kashmir Police had launched a massive manhunt.

However, hours later, his body was found at Gussu village, about 10 km from Kalampora, in Pulwama district.

He was part of Major Rohit Shukla’s team, which eliminated Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Sameer Tiger.

Aurangzeb was killed by terrorists during the one-month ceasefire in anti-cordon and search operations announced by the government in an attempt to provide a peaceful environment to the Valley’s people during the holy month of Ramzan.

However, after the killings of Aurangzeb and senior journalist and Rising Kashmir editor Shujaat Bukhari, along with a spate in incidents of targeted violence, the Centre decided not to extended the ceasefire, which was reinforced on June 17.