New Delhi, June 17: The security forces are on high alert in Jammu and Kashmir, hours after the Union Government said that the unilateral ceasefire imposed during the holy month of Ramzan will not be extended any further. Speaking to ANI, Inspector General (IG) of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Ravideep Sahi informed,”We will implement every order that will be given to us. We would like to tell everyone that the security forces are on alert.”
Talking about the Amarnath Yatra which will begin on June 28, Shahi assured the upcoming pilgrimage would be conducted peacefully.
Earlier in the day, in a major announcement, Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that there would be no extension of the ceasefire in Jammu and Kashmir. “On 17th May, GoI (Government) took decision that Security Forces will not conduct offensive operations in J&K during holy month of Ramzan. Decision was taken in interests of the peace loving people of J&K, in order to provide them a conducive atmosphere to observe Ramzan. Security Forces are being directed to take all necessary actions as earlier to prevent terrorists from launching attacks and indulging in violence and killings. Government will continue with its endeavour to create an environment free of terror and violence in J&K.”
“It was expected that everyone will cooperate in ensuring the success of this initiative. While the security forces have displayed exemplary restraint during this period, the terrorists have continued with their attacks, on civilians and security forces, resulting in deaths and injuries,” said the Home Minister.
The government’s decision to not extend the ceasefire also comes in the wake of the threat to the Amarnath Yatra as some militant groups, including JK-ISIS as well as Gazwat-ul-Hind, a group owing allegiance to Al-Qaeda, have rejected the Ramzan ceasefire.