New Delhi, June 18: Nearly 41 killings, 20 grenade attacks and 50 terror incidents reportedly took place in Jammu and Kashmir during the month-long unilateral ceasefire, which was imposed to create a peaceful environment in valley during the holy month of Ramzan. While talking to a leading portal, officials informed that 18 terror incidents were reported between April 17 to May 17 and the number rose to more than 50 during the suspension of operations.
Speaking to Hindustan Times, the officials said that number of grenade attacks also rose during the period. “The 20 attacks that left 62 civilians and 29 personnel injured were the highest for a month in two years”, they informed. Besides this, nine security personnel including four army jawans, were killed during the period.
However, stone pelting incident and number of civilian deaths at the hands of security forces decreased during the month. As per the report, four people lost their lives amid Ramzan truce. Compared to 200 incidents of stone-pelting during Ramzan 2017, 60 were reported this year.
Earlier on Sunday, in a major announcement, Home Minister Rajnath Singh had said that there would be no extension of the ceasefire in Jammu and Kashmir.
“On 17th May, GoI (Government) took decision that Security Forces will not conduct offensive operations in J&K during holy month of Ramzan. Decision was taken in interests of the peace loving people of J&K, in order to provide them a conducive atmosphere to observe Ramzan. Security Forces are being directed to take all necessary actions as earlier to prevent terrorists from launching attacks and indulging in violence and killings. Government will continue with its endeavour to create an environment free of terror and violence in J&K.”
“It was expected that everyone will cooperate in ensuring the success of this initiative. While the security forces have displayed exemplary restraint during this period, the terrorists have continued with their attacks, on civilians and security forces, resulting in deaths and injuries,” said the Home Minister.