Srinagar: Two terrorists were killed in an encounter with security forces in Baramulla district of Jammu and Kashmir on Thursday. The operation, meanwhile, has concluded. The area was cordoned off after receiving information about two militants hiding in the village.

While efforts were made to let them surrender on their own, the militants retaliated and were thus neutralised. The identities of the two militants who were killed in the incident are yet to be ascertained, while the arms and ammunition used in the Baramulla encounter have been recovered, said SSP Imtiyaz Hussain.

In another incident, firing between terrorists and security forces was reported in Arwani region of Anantnag district. More details in connection with the matter are awaited.

A similar encounter took place on Wednesday morning when two Hizbul Mujahideen terrorists were gunned down in an encounter with security forces in Nowgam area in the outskirts of Srinagar city. With the intelligence inputs received on Tuesday night, a joint team of the Army’s 55 Rashtriya Rifles, SOG and CRPF had enabled their operation to look for terrorists in a residential house in Sathu area of Nowgam, stated Jammu and Kashmir police.

In yet another encounter which took place in Kulgam district on Sunday, three terrorists were neutralised. The ultras fired at the security forces when they launched a search and cordon operation in Laroo area of Kulgam district. After the gunfight, a blast took place in which three civilians had lost their lives, said police. “Police had to use some force to quell the protests and around two dozen persons were injured in the clashes,” said the official.

In the month of June, a terrorist clash occurred with the security forces in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama district. A Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist was killed during the encounter in Thamuna village.

In the month of May, a militant was killed at Tabela Chattabal near Safakadal area by security forces. The clash between protesters and law enforcement agencies near the encounter site in Srinagar also claimed the life of a civilian. According to an official, protesters threw stones at security forces who were involved in the counter-militancy operation in Chattabal and adjoining areas in Jammu and Kashmir.

(With Agency inputs)