Srinagar: The police on Thursday evening nabbed the accused behind the grenade attack at a bus stand in Jammu, in which one person was killed and at least 32 others were injured earlier in the day. He has been identified as Yasir Bhatt from Kulgam and has confessed to the crime. “The person who threw the grenade at the Jammu bus stand earlier today, has been arrested,” Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Police (DGP) Dilbagh Singh was quoted as saying by news agency ANI.

Briefing media about the development, J&K Inspector General of Police, MK Sinha, said, “Teams were constituted to work on leads, CCTV camera footage examined, based on oral testimony of witnesses we were able to identify a suspect. He was detained, his name is Yasir Bhatt, he has confessed to the crime.” Adding further, he informed that Yasir was tasked to throw the grenade by District Commander of Hizbul Mujahideen in Kulgam, Farooq Ahmed Bhatt alias Omar.

One person, identified as 17-year-old Mohammad Sharik who was a resident of Hardiwar in Uttarakhand died in the attack. He was among 33 injured brought to the hospital and succumbed to splinter injuries in the chest. Meanwhile, the condition of four injured remains to be critical. The injured include 11 persons belonging to Kashmir, two from Bihar and one each from Haryana and Chhattisgarh.

Condemning the incident, Governor Satya Pal Malik announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to the next of the kin of the deceased and Rs 20,000 each to those injured.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh expressed grief over the incident. Taking to Twitter, he posted, “Deeply anguished at the loss of precious life in a grenade attack at the Jammu Bus Stand today. I pray for the speedy of the injured. I also spoke to the Governor of Jammu and Kashmir , Shri Satyapal Malik over the phone and discussed the situation in the wake of this incident.”

This is the third grenade attack by terrorists in Jammu bus stand since May last year, viewed by security agencies as an attempt to disturb communal harmony and peace in the city. The scene of the blast along BC Road was cordoned off soon after the incident.

Earlier on December 28-29 last year, suspected terrorists carried out a grenade attack on the bus stand with the intention to target the local police station building, an attack which took place seven months after another grenade attack along the B C Road left two policemen and a civilian injured on May 24, 2018.