New Delhi: At least 40 students fell ill after consuming prasad at a school in Lohardaga district of Jharkhand, news agency ANI reported. The incident took place on Sunday. The school was celebrating Basant Panchami. Also Read - With COVID Guidelines, Jharkhand Allows Chhath Puja at River Banks, Ponds | Check SOPs Here

Confirming the incident, Doctor S S Khalid of Sadar hospital said, “40 children have come here till now, one or two are in critical condition. It is a case of food poisoning, we are treating them accordingly.” Also Read - Jharkhand Govt Bans Chhath Puja Celebrations in Water Bodies

The doctor further added that children started vomiting after taking ‘bundi’. They suffered food poisoning.

Meanwhile, District Education Officer, Ratan Mahwar, said, “The administration is investigating, we will take action against whoever is found guilty. We will get the food sample examined to ascertain the cause.”

Meanwhile, a teacher of the school said the school authorities would look into the incident.

Last year, 100 students had fallen ill allegedly after consuming the mid-day meal at a school in Koderma district. Deputy Commissioner Bhuvnesh Pratap Singh had said PTI.  “All the hundred students have recovered and are back in school,”

On inquiry, they had found a dead lizard in the utensil used for cooking the food for about 30 children. School Principal Saryu Razak, however, had said he was unaware of the incident as he was off to Domchanch in connection with some school work.