Koderma: One student died and around hundred others fell ill allegedly after consuming the mid-day meal at a school in Koderma district of Jharkhand, the police said on Friday. An inquiry into Wednesday’s incident has been ordered by Koderma Deputy Commissioner Bhuvnesh Pratap Singh, said PTI.  “All the hundred students have recovered and are back in school,” Koderma Superintendent of Police M Tamilvanan said. The students of Upgraded Middle School were admitted to the local Sadar Hospital after they vomitted and complained of stomach ache, the SP said. They allegedly t0ok ill after the mid-day meal of rice, paneer and potato curry, the SP said. (Also read: Man Beaten up For Serving ‘Banned Meat’ at Son’s Wedding)

In May, over two dozen children were hospitalised in another school in the same district after consuming khichdi with a dead lizard in it. The incident had taken place in a school in Simaria village under Domchanch block.

After consuming the food, the children complained of nausea and started vomiting, following which they were rushed to Domchanch Referral Hospital and Koderma Sadar Hospital. On getting information, Block Development Officer Narayan Ram, accompanied by Koderma Medical Officer Dr Ranjeet Kumar, reached the school.

On inquiry, they found a dead lizard in the utensil used for cooking the food for about 30 children. School Principal Saryu Razak, however, said he was unaware of the incident as he was off to Domchanch in connection with some school work. He blamed the cooks for the incident.