Srinagar: A soldier was martyred following an encounter between terrorists and security forces in north Kashmir’s Sopore on Friday. According to news reports, two terrorists were also killed in the gunfire. The police chief said that the exchange of firing has stopped and search operation has been launched to recover the bodies. Also, the identity of the slain militants was yet to be ascertained. Also Read - Indian Army Chopper Crash Lands in Jammu And Kashmir's Kathua; Pilot Dead, Another Injured

Meanwhile, in the wake of the killing of two militants, authorities have directed that all colleges and higher secondary schools in Baramulla and Sopore be closed. Also Read - Secret Tunnel Used to Infiltrate Terrorists From Pakistan Detected in J&K's Kathua | Watch

Early this morning, security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Pazalpora village of Dangiwacha town in the north Kashmir district after receiving specific information about the presence of militants in the area, a police official said. Also Read - 'Can't Even Kiss My Wife', Says Farooq Abdullah, Laments The Pandemic

There has hardly been a let-up in violence in the state. On October 25, at least one Army jawan was killed and another one injured after terrorists opened fire on a 42 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) camp at Jammu and Kashmir’s Tral. The militants opened fire at the Army camp at Lurgam in Tral area of the district, an Army official said. The Army retaliated, following which the militants fled the spot, the official said but during the gunbattle, one soldier got injured and another died.

Earlier in the day, at least two terrorists were killed in an encounter with security forces at Baramulla’s Keeri in the state. The operation, which had begun in the morning, concluded in the evening. The two militants who were killed in the incident were yet to be identified, while the arms and ammunition used in the Baramulla encounter had been recovered, said Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Imtiyaz Hussain.