New Delhi, Apr 20: A day after the Supreme Court pronounced that there will be no Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe in the Judge BH Loya death case, the Opposition parties are likely to meet in Parliament Complex on Friday to discuss over bringing a motion in Rajya Sabha to remove Dipak Misra from the post of the CJI.

Earlier on Thursday, a bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dipak Misra and consisting of Justice Khanwilkar and Justice Chandrachud, dismissed the petitions seeking SIT probe in Judge Loya death case. The court said that there is no merit in the petitions and that there is no reason to doubt the statements of sitting Judges. “Attempt of the petitioners was to malign the judiciary,” it said while delivering its verdict.

The apex court observed that PILs were being “misused for settling political scores”. It also added that there was “great danger” if this was allowed to continue.

Meanwhile, the Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Ghulam Nabi Azad, at 11 AM, has invited the representatives of all opposition parties that had petitioned President Ram Nath Kovind in February demanding an investigation into Loya’s death. Ghulam Nabi Azad will be meeting the Rajya Sabha chairman Venkaiah Naidu around noon.

It was after the January 12 press-conference of the four senior-most Supreme Court judges that the motion for the removal of CJI Dipak Misra was first suggested.

On Thursday, the Congress slammed the SC judgement and called it as a ‘sad day’ in India’s history.  “The Supreme Court has left many questions unanswered. There were discrepancies in the postmortem report; even in recording the name of the victim properly,” Congress spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said.

Noteworthy, the motion for removal of the CJI was high on the opposition agenda during the Budget session and the petition for the same has already been signed by around 70 MPs during the Parliament session.

Earlier, the apex court had asked the Maharashtra Government to submit the postmortem report of the CBI judge, who had died in alleged suspicious circumstances in 2014, citing that the “matter was very serious.” Justice Loya reportedly died of a cardiac arrest in Nagpur in 2014, a day after he attended the wedding and reception of his colleague’s daughter.