New Delhi: Kanhaiya Kumar, who contested the last Lok Sabha elections from Begusarai from CPI ticket, and Gujarat MLA Jignesh Mewani joined the Congress party on Tuesday in presence of Rahul Gandhi in New Delhi. Reports had earlier suggested that the induction was planned for September 27, which is the birth anniversary of Shaheed Bhagat Singh. However, farmers’ unions had given a call for a nationwide protest on the same day.Also Read - Congress to Reserve 40% Tickets for Women in Upcoming UP Assembly Elections: Priyanka Gandhi Vadra in Lucknow
Here Are The Top Quotes of Kanhaiya Kumar and Jignesh Mevani After Joining Congress:
- I am joining Congress because it’s not just a party, it’s an idea. It’s country’s oldest and most democratic party: Kanhaiya Kumar after joining Congress
- I am emphasising on ‘democratic. Not just me many think that country can’t survive without Congress: Kanhaiya Kumar after joining Congress
- Congress party is like a big ship, if it’s saved, I believe many people’s aspirations, Mahatma Gandhi’s oneness, Bhagat Singh’s courage & BR Ambedkar’s idea of equality will be protected too. This is why I have joined it: Kanhaiya Kumar
- I could not join the Congress formally due to technical reasons. I am an independent MLA, if I join a party, I may not continue as an MLA… I am part of the Congress ideologically, will fight the upcoming Gujarat polls from Congress symbol: Gujarat MLA Jignesh Mewani
- To save democracy and the idea of India, I have to be with a party that lead the Independence struggle and dragged the British out of the country. This is why I am here with the Congress today: Gujarat MLA Jignesh Mewani
Also Read - Will Consider, Says Rahul Gandhi On Request Of Senior Leaders To Become Congress President
Jignesh Mevani, an independent Gujarat MLA, announced last week that he would join Congress on September 28 along with former JNU student leader Kanhaiya Kumar. Also Read - 'I am a Full-time, Hands on President': What Sonia Gandhi Told G-23 Leaders at Key CWC Meet
Kanhaiya Kumar had fought the Lok Sabha election in 2019 on a CPI ticket from Begusarai but lost to BJP stalwart Giriraj Singh. Mewani is an independent MLA from Vadgam constituency in Gujarat and convener of Rashtriya Dalit Adhikar Manch (RDAM).
Both Kumar and Mevani are known for their vocal opposition to policies of the Narendra Modi government.
Sources close to Kanhaiya Kumar had earlier said that he and Gujarat MLA Jignesh Mevani will join the Congress in the presence of party leader Rahul Gandhi at the party’s headquarters in New Delhi on Tuesday evening.
Before joining the Congress, Kumar and Mevani are likely to go to Shaheedi Park at ITO here to garland the statue of Bhagat Singh, a day after the 114th birth anniversary of the freedom fighter. Rahul Gandhi is likely to be present with them at ITO. Youth Congress workers will be present in “large numbers” at the venue.
Congress general secretary (organization) KC Venugopal and Gujarat Congress working president Hardik Patel are also likely to be present when Kumar and Mevani will join the Congress.