New Delhi: The death toll in poisonous prasad served outside Gangamma Temple in Karnataka rose to two on Sunday morning, news agency ANI reported. Four people are still in critical condition. The identity of the deceased has not been ascertained yet.
Meanwhile, police have taken a woman, who worked as a cook at a hotel, into custody and registered a case in the matter.
On Saturday, a woman died and nine others, including two children, were hospitalised after they allegedly consumed ‘prasadam’ (offering) served outside a temple in Chikkaballapura district. Police had detained three women were detained in this connection.
According to PTI, two unidentified women came to the Gangamma Devi temple in Chintamani town where a grand celebration took place on January 25 night and distributed Kesari Bhat (halwa) to the devotees.
After consuming it, people started complaining of stomach pain, police said, adding they were rushed to a private hospital in the town.
“The temple management is not involved as nobody had prepared any ‘prasad’ there. Two women had brought some ‘prasad’ and were distributing it,” police had said.
Last year, 13 people died while 60 others fell ill after consuming the food served at Maramma temple at Sulvadi village in Chamarajanagar. The temple’s pontiff and three trustees admitted to mixing insecticide in the offering, police had said.