Chamarajanagar: Two persons were arrested on late Friday evening in connection to the death of 11 people after they consumed ‘prasad’ at Maramma temple in Chamarajanagar district of Karnataka. The relatives of temple priest, cook and security guards are among the dead, a report claimed. Also Read - No Need to Discuss, I Convey My Regards: Karnataka CM Doesn't Take Dig at Gowda Family Over Son's Wedding

Briefing about the Karnataka temple tragedy, Puttaranga Shetty, District In-charge Minister of Chamarajanagar, visited KR Hospital and informed that total 47 patients have been shifted to Care Hospital, 17 are in JSS Hospital and others are in different Mysore hospitals. In total, around 91 patients have been shifted from Chamarajnagar to Mysore, he said. Also Read - Social Distancing, What's That? HD Kumaraswamy's Son Ties The Knot in VVIP Wedding Amid COVID-19 Lockdown | Photos And Videos Here

Assuring strict action, he said, “Whoever may be the culprit, action will be taken against them. Police investigating the case and already arrested two persons.” Also Read - Wedding in The Times of COVID-19: Wedding of Kumaraswamy's Son Tomorrow; Only Family Members Invited

Earlier on Friday, at least 11 people died and 80 others were hospitalised after eating the ‘prasad’ offered at Maramma temple in Chamarajanagar. Among those hospitalised, the condition of many is said to be critical.

Expressing grief over the tragedy, Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy said that the Principal Secretary and the commissioner have instructed District Health Officers (DHOs) Mandya and Mysore to provide help to Chamrajnagar health administration.“There is an unfortunate food poisoning incident in Kamgere village. Principal Secretary and Commissioner have instructed DHOs Mandya and Mysore to provide help to Chamrajnagar health administration,” he said.

The temple where the prasad was served comes under Kitchalavadi temple trust. During the event, the devotees were served rice bath as prasadam, following which they fell sick. Reportedly, people started feeling nauseous and vomited after an hour of eating the prasadam. About 60 crows were also found dead around the area.