Srinagar, Apr 14: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has requested setting up of a special fast track court to try the brutal rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl in Kathua. She has also  terminated the services of four policemen accused in the case.

Mufti on Saturday wrote to the Chief Justice of J&K High Court seeking a fast track court to conclude within 90 days the trial in the case that has caused a nation-wide outrage. (ALSO READ – Bring Kathua Child Rapists, Murderers to Justice: UN General Secretary)

According to the reports, the state government has terminated the services of a sub-inspector, a head constable and two Special Police Officers (SPOs) accused in the crime.

Meanwhile, PDP leader Naeem Akhtar has demanded justice for the eight-year-old at the earliest. “This govt will soon bring a law in the state under which people who rape minors will be given death penalty. Entire nation has come with her,” he said.

The development comes after two Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders –  Chandra Prakash Ganga and Lal Singh from the BJP-PDP alliance tendered their resignations after uproar over them attending rallies in support of the accused in the rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl in Kathua.

Earlier in the day, Mufti had called a high-level meeting at her residence to discuss the brutal Kathua gangrape and murder. All the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) leaders and legislators were summoned for the meeting.

On the other hand, BJP National General Secretary Ram Madhav, who is in the state to clear the air over the sensitive issue, said that the police had begun its investigation in January and completed it in the next three months. The chargesheet has been filed and around eight people have been arrested including the police officers who were involved in destroying the evidence.

“On 1 March, a huge crowd gathered in Kathua and our ministers went there to pacify them. A misunderstanding took place, they should have been more alert. Their intention was not to hamper the investigation. Allegations on them being pro-rapists aren’t true,” he added.

The minor girl from the Bakerwal community was kidnapped on January 10 and taken to a temple in Rasana village in Kathua district. Her attackers, which included temple official and policemen, drugged and gangraped her over days before finally killing her and dumping her body in a forest nearby, seven days later.