New Delhi, Apr 14: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti called a high-level meeting at  her residence on Saturday to discuss the brutal Kathua gangrape and murder. The meeting comes at a time when two of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders- Chandra Prakash Ganga and Lal Singh from the BJP-PDP alliance tendered their resignations to CM Mufti after she alleged that the two ministers were creating hurdles in the investigation process. All the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) leaders and legislators were summoned for the meeting.

BJP National General Secretary Ram Madhav. who is in the state to clear the air over the sensitive issue, said that the police had begun its investigation in January and completed it in the next three months. The chargesheet has been filed and around eight people have been arrested including the police officers who were involved in destroying the evidence. (ALSO READ – Bring Kathua Child Rapists, Murderers to Justice: UN General Secretary)

“On 1 March, a huge crowd gathered in Kathua and our ministers went there to pacify them. A misunderstanding took place, they should have been more alert. Their intention was not to hamper the investigation. Allegations on them being pro-rapists aren’t true,” Madhav added.

Adding further, he said, “The ministers decided that they will resign from their post. We held discussions on it and their resignation will be sent to Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister today.”

On the other hand, Lal Singh, the minister who is one of the two ministers charged with supporting the Kathua gang-rape and murder accused, on Saturday said that those responsible for the gang-rape of eight-year-old should be caught and strictly dealt with. Although he said this, he didn’t agree to the allegations leveled against him and said that he participated in the rally to defuse the tension in the area.

Meanwhile, CM Mufti has requested the setting up of a special fast track court and written to the chief justice of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court to ensure speedy justice to the 8-year-old girl in Kathua, as per official sources.