Kolkata, July 1: Four passengers allegedly fell sick after consuming “undercooked’ chicken served at the Puri-Sealdah Duronto Express allegedly, a railway official told IANS. The authorities have decided to suspend the vendor’s licence. Also Read - Indian Railways News: Train Travel Likely to Become Expensive Soon | Read Details
“Around four passengers were served undercooked chicken onboard the Puri-Sealdah Duronto Express on Saturday night. The passengers complained of uneasiness while a teenager fell ill after eating food,” IRCTC General Manager Debasish Chandra said. Also Read - 50 Stations, 151 Trains: How Privatisation of Indian Railways Will Bring in 'Modern' Change
The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation — which deals with catering, tourism and online ticketing of Indian Railways — said that they have decided to discontinue with the service of the third-party vendor responsible for serving food on the train and will levy a hefty fine on him. “We have decided to cancel the licence of vendor Krishna Enterprise and also impose a hefty fine,” he said. Also Read - Indian Railways Latest News: 20 Pairs of Clone Trains to be Run from September 21
“Passengers are safe and sound. We are internally investigating the matter,” the official added.
In an earlier incident on May 27, Fourteen passengers onboard the Howrah Jan Satabdi Puri Express fell sick after eating food served at the train. Many passengers also complained of nausea and acute stomach ache, while others complained of sweating and diarrhoea. The Railways ordered an immediate inquiry into the matter.
It must be noted that that in another incident, a Twitter user named Punit Tyagi uploaded a video in which the Railway employees were seen filling their tea-kettles from the train toilets. The video might shock you forever as you won’t be able to believe your eyes that such thing can also happen. Utterly shocked, Punit wrote, “Indian Railways tea. Is ther anyboday who can look jt into it.” Check the story here
(With inputs from IANS)