Kollam (Kerala), April 10: A massive fire that killed 108 people and injuring 350 other in at a temple at Puttingal Devi temple in the coastal town of Paravur has rocked the country since Sunday morning. The fire started due to the crackers being busted by devotees near the premises, has hospitalised over 100 people and the number is seen rising with each passing time.
Here are 10 developments that we know so far:
1. The fire started during the morning hours of 3:30 am, when people were bursting crackers while celebrating to welcome the annual festival of Vishu in the Puttingal temple. Over thousand people gathered to watch the bursting of crackers and suddenly the fire broke out.
2. As per the latest report, 108 people lost their lives and over 350 are being injured. It is is also known that more than 100 are being hospitalised. The patients are being taken to hospitals in and around the Kollam district. However, since morning more than 20 ambulances have been pressed into service and they are transporting the patients to hospitals situated 50 kilometres away from Thiruvanathapuram. ALSO READ: Fire at Puttingal temple, Kollam: PM Narendra Modi announces Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia for victim’s kin; will also visit Kerala
3. Indian Navy’s dornier was dispatched from INS Garuda Naval Air station near Kochi. 4 IAF helicopters have reached Trivandrum and are ready for the task. Two Air force helicopters have been deputed with adequate medical facilities and have been advised to shift the injured to the nearest hospital. 200 personnel of NDRF personnel have been told to be ready for the emergency services. Also 2 AN32 aircrafts will take two NDRF teams from Arakkonam.
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is monitoring the situation by himself and will be arriving in the temple soon, along with a team of experts doctors. Condoling the death Modi tweeted, “Fire at temple in Kollam is heart-rending & shocking beyond words. My thoughts are with families of the deceased & prayers with the injured.”
5. Prime Minister has also announced that an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh will be given to victim’s kin who lost their near ones, while Rs 50,000 has been announced for the injured people. He is also in touch with Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and keeping a tab on the updates.
6. Ommen Chandy has said that the state has denied the permission for bursting crackers near the premises and also no permission was granted by the district authorities too.
7. Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi has also condoled the death of people and will be arriving in Kollam district to meet the injured at around 4:30 pm. BJP president Amit Shah has already visited the victims in Trivandrum hospital and is scheduled to depart for Kollam.
8. Additional team of paramedics and doctors have been sent for nearby state Karnataka for the relief of victims and doctors from private medical colleges too have been asked to help in this tough times.
9. Oommen Chandy has ordered a probe into the incident and has told the authorities to take strict action against the culprits.
10. Other state minister have too have been advised to take all the preventive measures and help the needy in the best possible way, without creating any politics over the incident.