New Delhi: After Rajinikanth and Kamal Haasan, now actor Prakash Raj has announced that he will be contesting in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections as an Independent candidate. The actor did so from his Twitter handle on Monday night. (Also read: ‘BJP Like Cancer, JD(S), Cong Like Cold, Cough,’ Says Prakash Raj)

He is yet to decide the constituency he would fight from, said his tweet. He wrote, “HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE..a new beginning .. more responsibility.. with UR support I will be contesting in the coming parliament elections as an INDEPENDENT CANDIDATE. Details of the constituency soon. Ab ki baar Janatha ki SARKAR #citizensvoice #justasking in parliament too…”

Raj is known for his anti-BJP stance. He had claimed that he stopped getting offers from Bollywood when he became openly critical of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government at the Centre. The 2019 general elections are due to be held in April or May to constitute the seventeenth Lok Sabha.

At the time of Karnataka elections, Raj had been following the elections closely, even exhorting people to go out and vote. However, as the results showed the state was headed towards a hung Assembly and Raj took to Twitter to warn the people to watch out for negotiations and horse-trading among the parties, all eager to form the next government. He said, “1. BJP approaches Governor claiming largest party ..2. He gives time to prove ( read as ..time to poach n buy) …3. Chanakya arrives to poach …4. Paid media on the toes to celebrate his talent …5. Finally we the citizens reduced to watch the match of horse trading.”