Lucknow: A huge fire in a house in Mayawati Colony of Indiranagar has killed five, including a child.

Speaking about the accident that occurred on Tuesday evening, Indiranagar Police Station Officer-in-charge Amarnath Vishkarma said, “A fire broke out due to a short circuit in the gas stove godown in a house in Ram Vihar Phase II of Indiranagar, in which five people including a child were killed. ”

The accident occurred in the basement of the house that was occupied by one T N Singh and his family. The family was involved in the business of gas stoves. They used the basement of the house for storing the stoves.

At around 1.30 AM, an AC in the house caught fire due to a short-circuit. The fire spread to the basement and the family died of suffocation.

The deceased have been identified as W Singh, his wife Julie, Vandana, Sumit and his six-month-old daughter. At the time of the accident, T N Singh was not at home.

Local media has claimed that the rescue operations began after about 45 minutes. A Hindi portal said that while the accident was reported at 1.30 AM, fire brigade was informed only at 2.40 AM.