Chandigarh: All 12 accused in the abduction and gangrape case of a 20-year-old girl, who was sexually assaulted on Saturday night near Ludhiana, are at large sources suggest.
The gangrape survivor was allegedly abducted and raped by 12 men after being dragged out of a car, she was travelling in with a friend on Saturday.
The woman told the police that she was in car with a male friend, going towards Issewal village, when they were intercepted by two men on a motorbike. She said, they attacked them with bricks and stones, forcing the car to a halt.
The attackers then got into the car, beat up her male friend and steered them to a secluded area in Jagraon town. The couple was taken to a farmhouse, where she alleged, they were joined by seven more men.
The couple was then beaten up and the woman gangraped.
Reportedly, the attackers also called a friend of hers, demanding a ransom of Rs 2 lakh in return of her freedom.
The couple was let off on Sunday, following which they filed a complaint with the local police.
Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police Ranbir Singh Khatra admitted that there were lapses by the local police in dealing with the matter due to which such a gruesome crime took place on Saturday night.
“Our main priority at this stage is to arrest the accused. There have been other incidents in the area by some gangs,” Khatra said.
Khatra said that Assistant Sub-Inspector Vijay Rattan had been suspended for dereliction of duty as he had failed to investigate the matter seriously and did not inform his seniors about the case.