New Delhi: Reiterating Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray’s stand, state minister Satej Patil on Thursday said that the cases filed against Aarey metro car shed protesters will be withdrawn within a month. He said this after meeting some of the protesters in Mumbai. Also Read - ‘Cases Against Aarey Protesters Will be Taken Back,’ Says CM Uddhav Thackeray
“The cases will be withdrawn in the coming month. There is a due process to withdraw the cases. I spoke to them (the protesters who met him on Thursday) on the issue. I assured them that the word we gave to them on behalf of the Maha Vikas Aghadi will be kept,” Patil said. Also Read - Ultimate Sufferer is Common Mumbaikar, Tweets Devendra Fadnavis on Aarey Metro Work Stay Order
The statement from the minister comes two months after Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray said that he had ordered to withdraw all cases filed against Aarey protesters. “I have ordered to take back the cases filed against many environmentalists, during the agitation against Aarey metro car shed work. There will be no more cases against anyone now,” Thackeray had said. Also Read - 'Not a Single Leaf of Aarey Will be Cut Till Further Notice': Uddhav Thackeray Puts Metro Car Shed Construction on Hold
Last year in October, the Mumbai Police had filed cases against a number of protesters, including green activists, who had hit the streets to oppose the felling of trees in the Aarey Colony, a green belt in suburban Goregaon, to make way for a car shed which is part of the metro-3 project.
Hearing the matter, the Supreme Court had issued a stay order on the deforestation activity in the days that followed, but over 2,000 trees had already been cut down by authorities by then. However, the cases were filed against the protesters when the BJP-led government was in power in the state.
As per updates, the protesters in the area were booked under IPC sections related to unlawful assembly and assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharging duty.