New Delhi: A 25-year-old lecturer in Wardha district near Nagpur, Maharashtra on Monday morning died after she was set ablaze by a stalker last week. The accused, Vikesh Nagrale, was arrested on the day of the crime.Also Read - Maharashtra: Passengers Arriving In Mumbai From UAE Exempted From 7-Day Home Quarantine | Details Here

The incident took place early on February 3, around 7:15 AM, when Ankita Pisudde the lecturer and a resident of Daroda village, was waiting for her bus to get to college in Hingnaghat town of Wardha. Within the next few moments, Nagrale hauled up at her, doused her with petrol took out from his scooter, set her ablaze and fled the scene. Also Read - 11 Skulls, 54 Bones Of Foetuses Found At Hospital In Maharashtra's Wardha, Probe Underway

Passers-by tried helping her by pouring water to beat out the fire and immediately rushed her to a nearby health centre from where she was shifted to Orange City Hospital in Nagpur. Unfortunately, the woman had already suffered 40 per cent burns and inhalation injuries that affected her respiratory system, ultimately taking a toll. Also Read - Maharashtra Records Over 46,000 Fresh COVID Infections, 36 Deaths; No New Case of Omicron Today

Reacting to the brutal attack, Supriya Sule, senior NCP leader and daughter of Sharad Pawar, ensured her family that justice will be given at the soonest.

“Saddened to hear that the Hinganghat Victim lost her life earlier this morning. This case will be heard in the Fast Track Court and State Government will ensure that justice is done. My heartfelt condolences with her family. May she rest in peace,” she said in a tweet.

Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh also condemned the incident and said, “I have spoken to the special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam to ensure that verdict is out at the earliest and the victim is given justice. We will provide assistance to the family in every possible way and one of the family members will be provided a government job.”

The accused, Nagrale, who hails from the same village, had a wife and a seven-month-old son and was working at a firm in Balharshah. He had been stalking the woman for a while, Wardha Superintendent of Police Basavaraj Teli told reporters.

He was nabbed on the same day from and charged under Indian Penal Code sections 307 (attempt to murder) and 326 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means). Further investigation is underway.