Pune: Five labourers died and several others were left injured as major fire broke out in a cloth godown at a village in Maharashtra’s Pune during wee hours on Thursday, May 9. At least four fire tenders were rushed to the spot.

The incident was reported from Uruli Devachi village on the outskirts of the city. The firefighting operations continued for around two hours, Zee News reported. Meanwhile, news agency ANI said that the situation is under control now.

According to an official of Pune Police (Rural), as quoted by IANS, the fire was reported at around 5 AM, when the workers were asleep in a room above the shop. Meanwhile, efforts are on to verify whether there were more workers sleeping there.

The bodies have been sent for post-mortem, while the injured have been admitted to nearby hospital for treatment.

According to speculations, the reason behind the blaze is a short-circuit. However, there are no confirmed reports on the same as of now.