Kolkata: A major fire broke out at Kolkata Medical College and Hospital on Wednesday. The pharmacy department of the hospital in reportedly engulfed in blaze. As per latest reports, the blaze has been doused. 10 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. Meanwhile, at least 400 patients, along with their relatives, have been evacuated safely.

Informing that all the patients are safe, news agency ANI tweeted, “Fire breaks out in the pharmacy department of Kolkata Medical College and Hospital. 10 fire engines and Kolkata police rushed to the spot. All the patients are safe.”

Reports suggest that the fire department was informed about the incident around 8 AM. Meanwhile, a short circuit is said to be the cause of fire however, nothing has been ascertained as of yet.

Kolkata Mayor Sovan Chatterjee arrived at the spot and said, “The firefighters are trying to find out the cause of the fire. They are working hard to douse the flames. There is thick smoke in the area. Everything will be under control in a short span of time. All the patients have been taken out safely and their treatment is going on.”