Malegaon, Oct 5: Sudhakar Chaturvedi, one of the accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, claimed that the investigators tried to frame the then Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP and current Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Yogi Adityanath and other leaders. Chaturvedi, who is currently on bail, also alleged that the Congress-Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) government tried to frame the Hindu activists to appease Muslim voters.

“During my questioning, I was asked questions related to my affiliation with the RSS and its chief Mohan Bhagwat. There were specific questions about Yogi Adityanath. They tried to frame him through me,” Chaturvedi said. He alleged that he was repeatedly asked about Yogi Adityanath.

“The Congress-led UPA government, also comprising the NCP, was in power when I was arrested. Sudhakar Dwivedi and I were falsely implicated to appease Muslim voters in a bid to prove the theory of saffron terror,” he said, at a press conference, reported news agency PTI.

The 2008 Malegaon blast case was initially being investigated by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and was later handed over to the National Investigation Agency (NIA). After taking over, the agency filed supplementary charge sheet which stated that one officer from the Maharashtra ATS planted RDX at Sudhakar Chaturvedi’s residence.

“Why was no inquiry conducted against the officer?” asked Chaturvedi.

Chaturvedi added that he suspects attempts were being made to save Dawood Ibrahim‘s brother Iqbal Kaskar who was arrested by Thane police. (Also Read: Iqbal Kaskar Reveals Pak’s ISI Won’t Let Dawood Ibrahim to Return to India)

“The arrest of Kaskar is a big thing. But not much has been made public about the statements he has given (to the police) which raises suspicion that there is an attempt to save him,” he claimed.

Nearly six people were killed and nearly 100 others were left injured after a bomb strapped to a motorcycle went off in Malegaon on September 29, 2008. Chaturvedi is accused of planning the Malegaon blast. he was arrested in October 2008.