New Delhi: Reacting to how Tanushree Dutta‘s complaint against senior actor Nana Patekar has led to a spate of similar horror stories from other women, Union Minister for Women and Child Development said on Monday, “Now a #MeToo campaign has started and I am very happy that it has started.” However, she hoped people wouldn’t misuse it. She said, “I hope it won’t go out of control in the sense that we target people who’ve offended us in some way.” But, she added she knew women were responsible people and she realised how anger at sexual molestation never goes away.
“You will always remember the person who did it which is why we have written to the Law Ministry that complaints should be without any time limit. You can now complain 10-15 year later; it doesn’t matter how much later. If you’re going to complain, the avenue is still open,” she said.
The #MeToo campaign has caught on in the country with a lot of women speaking up about the harassment they faced at the workplace. Among the prominent names that have been taken are those of film director Vikas Behl, singer Kailash Kher and actor Rajat Kapoor.
On Sunday, widows of farmers in Yavatmal’s Pandharkavada had staged a protest against Tanushree Dutta and said that the Bollywood actress was “unnecessarily defaming Nana Patekar”, a ‘father-figure’ who had been helping these women whose husbands committed suicides due to agrarian crisis.
Dutta had created quite a stir by revealing that she was harassed by veteran actor Nana Patekar on the sets of Horn Ok Pleassss ten years ago. Now a complaint has been registered with the National Council for Women against Nana, Ganesh Acharya and Chocolate director Vivek Agnihotri. The complaint has been filed by Advocate Gaurav Gulati in which a proper inquiry in the case has been requested. The complaint lists out various incidents about which Tanushree has talked in the recent interviews.