New Delhi, May 6: A day after right-wing outfits prevented Muslims from offering namaz in public spaces in Gurugram, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar on Sunday said that one should read Namaz in mosques and Eidgahs instead of public places. While speaking to journalists in Chandigarh over the recent incident, Khattar said,” Namaz should be offered mosque and Eidgah. If there is shortage of place for Namaz, then it should be offered at personal place. These are not such issues which should be displayed at public places. (Hamara kahna hai ki jo namaj padane ke satahn hain…namaz padni hi chahiye, namaj masjid me padni chahiye, namaj Eidgah me padni chahiye aur namaj padane ka unka sathan kam padta hai to apane niji sathan par padani chahiye. Ye aese visay nahi hai jinka sarvajanhik sathano par pardarshan ho).” Also Read - Gurugram Shuts All Theatres, Malls, Weekly Bazaars, Gyms Till March 31 in View of COVID-19 in India

“Its acceptable till no objections are raised on. But if there are objection from any department, then people should be careful. So, we are keeping watch on it. It (namaz offering practice) was going well earlier but meantime there is increase in the issues of (offering namaz) at open places. So, we are taking care of it. We are counseling all that namaz should be offered at appropariate places not at public places,” Indian Express quoted Khattar as saying. Also Read - Italy-returned Paytm Employee Tests Positive For Coronavirus in Gurugram, Undergoing Treatment



Earlier on Friday, newly-launched right-wing organisation Sanyukt Hindu Sangharsh Samiti disrupted Friday ‘Namaz’ at 10 places in Gurugram including Atul Kataria Chowk, Sikanderpur, Cyber Park Sector 40, Wazirabad and Mehrauli-Gurgaon road and IFFCO Chowk. Also Read - 7th Pay Commission Latest News: Haryana Govt Hikes Social Security, Old-age Pension With Effect From January 2020

The controversy began on April 20 when six local youths chased away hundreds of Muslims who had gathered on Sector 53 to offer namaz. The youths who were involved in the incident were later arrested as the video of them sending Muslims away from the spot went viral on social media. On April 27, the namaz session at the same location was successfully conducted in the presence of police. This infuriated Hindu residents of Wazirabad and Kanhai villages and they said that they would organise a ‘havan’ if ‘Namaz’ were offered again.



Later, Haryana Urban Development Authority put up a board saying that the land belonged to them and trespassing was banned on Sector 53.  The namaz session had to be called off. The organisers of the Namaz were reportedly scared of Hindutva organisations creating a ruckus. Following which, even ‘Havan’ plans were dropped.