Mumbai, August 9: The Maratha Community will hold one of its biggest protests in Mumbai carried out by Maratha Kranti Morcha today. The protest will start at 11 am from the Jijamata Udyan, Byculla and end at Azad Maidan at around 5 pm. The Mumbai police have made traffic arrangements to ensure smooth movement of traffic between 9 am and 5 pm. The protesters will assemble at Jijamata Udyan and will walk on Dr B.A. Road, J.J Road southbound carriageway and take a U-turn at CSMT to go to Azad Maidan.
The state government on Tuesday issued a notification stating that schools in Mumbai city will remain closed on August 9. Apart from that, Mumbai Dabbawalas announced they will not work today to support and participate in the Morcha.
The Mumbai Police has given information about the traffic management for today that will help the citizens know which roads to avoid and prefer and how the traffic management will be done for the day.
Roads closed for traffic for management of Morcha
- The Southbound carriageway of Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar road between Dadar fire brigade junction to the foot of the J.J Flyover will be closed to all traffic (except for fire brigade, ambulance, police, and emergency vehicles.)
- Both carriageways on J. J road will remain closed for all traffic till Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminal (CSMT).
- Both the carriageways of Hazarimal Somani Marg between OCS junction and CSMT junction will remain closed for traffic. Both the carriageway of Mahapalika Marg between MEtro junction and CSTM will remain closed for traffic. The right turn for Bhatia baug will be prohibited.
- Traffic will not be allowed to go from Carnac Bunder Junction towards Carnac Bunder.
Alternative Traffic Routes for Mumbai Citizens
- Traffic from King Circle taking a left turn to Char Rasta (R.A.K.Road) will be allowed.
- Left turn from Dadar T.T. towards Char Rasta (R.A.K.Road) will be allowed.
- Left turn at Naigaon Cross Road Char Rasta (R.A.K.Road) will be allowed.
- G.D. Ambekar Marg ManeMAster Chowk to Char Rasta (R.A.K.Road) will be allowed.
- Traffic coming from Madam Kama Road and taking right turn through Flora fountain and going to Old Custom House via Kala Ghoda Road to Shahid Bhagatsingh Marg will be allowed.
- Traffic from N.M Joshi Marg to Lower Parel Railway station to Haji Ali to Worli Naka is allowed.
- Traffic on Marine Drive (N.S.Marg) via Peddar Road Haji Ali towards SEalink or from E. Moses Road to Siddhivinayak towards Senabhavan is allowed.
Parking facility for vehicles people participating in the Morcha
Vehicles coming for Suman Nagar will be able to park in the empty space of Mumbai Port Trust by travelling via Bhakti Park road below the Eastern Freeway. After parking at this location, the demonstrators will assemble at Jijamata Udyan to take part in the Morcha. (ALSO READ: Maratha Kranti Morcha Rally in Mumbai on August 9: All You Need to Know About The Silent Protest)
- Vehicles coming from Vashi on the Creek bridge to Chhatrapati Shivaji Statue will take a left turn after passing Suman Nagar junction to go to the parking area at M.B.P.T. land.
- Vehicles coming from Thane via Eastern Express Highway will turn left after Suman Nagar to go to the parking area at M.B.P.T. land.
- Vehicles coming from Western Suburbs will se Santacruz-Chembur Link Road (SCLR) and via Amar Mahal will turn left after Suman Nagar and go to the parking area at M.B.P.T. land.
The Mumbai police will keep a track on the Morcha by using drones, CCTV camera to ensure no one is affected, no traffic violation is done. The traffic police will also give live traffic updates via FM Radio and social media.