Meet the Keswanis: Not Your Average Desi Family
What is a typical day with your family like? Maybe school, work, eating roti and dal for dinner… a sort of rinse and repeat of a normal day?
[Photo Credit: Vaishali Keswani]
What is a typical day with your family like? Maybe school, work, eating roti and dal for dinner… a sort of rinse and repeat of a normal day? Perhaps even a Bollywood movie with your parents?
You may like to read
Indians certainly excel in the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields, but they are also multi-talented in other fields as seen with former Miss America Nina Davuluri, “Quantico” star Priyanka Chopra, author Salman Rushdie and many more. That’s where the Keswanis come in—their family is a little different than yours.
First, there’s father Anil who’s a doctor. Next, mom Vaishali runs the household and manages their three kids.
Then, there’s ‘Big Nik,’ a 17-year-old Vine star, who suffers from Dwarfism, has dined with Justin Bieber and earns more than $10,000 for his Vine videos. Big Nik is also partially blind and deaf but doesn’t let the pain slow him down.
Sarina follows Nik at 15 years old. She’s into beauty pageants, where wearing a swimsuit is a part of the deal.
Lastly, you have precocious Devina, a transgender 6-year-old.
Here’s what makes the Keswanis story even better and a role model family:
1. Their willingness to accept their children’s interests.
2. Their support of their children’s passions.
3. The fact that Big Nik has taken a situation most would let bury them and turned into a positive thing on social media. He’s also financially set.
4. The fact Sarina is conquering beauty pageants—and although her father may not be thrilled his daughter is wearing bikinis, he still allows her to flourish.
5. The fact that Devina’s desire to find a way to be her most authentic self is met with love. India has a rich and long history of acceptance towards gender fluidity which is exemplified here.
The family is going to have a web series hosted by PEOPLE.com entitled: “The Keswanis: A Most Modern Family.” It is the first time an Indian family will have a web series featuring what some might call a progressive family, and here at India.com, we think it rocks. What a beautiful way to encourage and accept diversity.
For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest India News on India.com.