Shillong, June 3: Police on Sunday used tear gas shells to disperse protesters in Meghalaya‘s capital, Shillong, while detaining five people, news agency ANI reported. Curfew remained imposed in the city and internet service is still suspended in some parts. The situation in Shillong turned grim on June 1, following a communal clash between two groups in the wake of an argument between a Punjabi woman and a Khasi bus conductor. Also Read - As Chorus Against Farm Laws Grows, Navjot Sidhu Says States Should Pay MSP if Centre Doesn't

Peter S Dkhar, Deputy Commissioner, East Khasi Hills, told  IANS yesterday that curfew is being imposed because “there is a likelihood that breach of peace may spread to other parts of the city”. Also Read - Unlock 5: Punjab Orders More Relaxations; Lifts Night Curfew, Sunday Lockdown as COVID Cases Decline

There was also a clash between the police and a mob with miscreants indulging in stone-pelting. Police fired tear gas shell and carried out baton charge as the unruly mob attacked them with stones between Mawkhar and Motphran. The clash erupted after a bus conductor was allegedly assaulted by a group of people residing at the Iew Mawlong area. “The situation is very tense in the area. We have arrested a number of stone pelters and many of the policemen have been injured after they were hit by stones,” Davies Marak, the district police chief of East Khasi Hills, told the news agency. According to reports, 10 arrests have been made so far in the case.

Chief Minister Conrad Sangma, after reviewing law and order situation in the city, called up his Punjab counterpart Amarinder Singh to assure him of the safety of people from the northern state and their religious institutions following communal clashes. Sangma also assured Amarinder Singh that no damage has been done to any religious place or institution belonging to the people from Punjab in Meghalaya. Amarinder requested Sangma to keep him informed of the situation and extended any help needed to defuse the tension.