New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is set to take the oath of Office of Prime Minister today along with his Council of ministers paid homage to Mahatma Gandhi at Rajghat and former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee at Atal Sadaiv.
PM Modi was accompanied by all the 303 newly-elected BJP Members of Parliament to pay homage to Gandhi and Vajpayee. Modi then visited the National War Museum.
Click here for complete coverage of 2019 Lok Sabha elections
The oath-taking ceremony is expected to be attended by as many as 8000 guests, including leaders of BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) countries, those who have confirmed their attendance include President of Bangladesh Abdul Hamid, Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena, Nepal Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli, President of Myanmar U Win Myint and Bhutanese Prime Minister Lotay Tshering.
HERE ARE THE LIVE UPDATES:
- If reports are to be believed, ex-foreign secretary S Jaishankar is currently meeting Modi-Shah at 7 LKM. He is likely to join Modi Cabinet.
- Anurag Thakur, winning BJP MP from Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh is also meeting PM Modi at 7 Lok Kalyan Marg, right now.
- “It’s a historic moment. I’m a big follower of Modi Ji & an ardent fan. I think the country is in a beautiful hands. I am so happy for my countrymen and happy for myself to be here today,” said Jitendra,producer and veteran actor on arrival in Delhi to attend PM Modi’s oath taking ceremony
- Amit Shah to be part of Modi Cabinet, says Gujarat BJP chief
- Newly-elected Andhra Pradesh CM Jagan Mohan Reddy and Telangana CM K. Chandrashekar Rao forced to cancel their trip after a no-fly zone was declared around Delhi from 4 pm. KCR is now returning to Hyderabad.
- President of Kyrgyzstan, Sooronbay Jeenbekov arrives in Delhi. He will attend PM Narendra Modi’s oath ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan later today.
- Sukhbir Singh Badal, Shiromani Akali Dal President on attending the swearing-in ceremony of the PM today: “It is a matter of joy that a new govt is being formed. Country needs a strong govt and it is getting one.”
- “I want to thank the Prime Minister and Party President Amit Shah for again giving me a chance of serving the country by making me a part of the government. I have been invited to the oath taking ceremony, not been informed of the ministry yet,” said Shripad Yesso Naik, BJP.
- General (Retd) VK Singh to meet PM Narendra Modi at 4:30 PM today at 7, Lok Kalyan Marg.
- “I am feeling very good, I was expecting the phone call,” said Debasree Chaudhuri, BJP MP from Raiganj.
- “I received a phone call from party president Amit Shah Ji, he asked me to be present for the meeting with the prime minister today evening. He also asked me to be present at the oath ceremony,” BJP Ramesh Pokhriyal told reporters ahead of swearing-in-ceremony.
- “I can’t be the Pro-tem Speaker after becoming a Minister. Someone else will get that post. I will carry out whatever responsibility will be given to me,” said Santosh Gangwar, on being asked if he is likely to be appointed as Pro-tem Speaker of 17th Lok Sabha.
- “It feels good to be a part of a historic event. Development was the focus for this Lok Sabha elections. As citizens of the country, it is time for us to also make our contribution to the country,” said Bollywood actor Anupam Kher on attending oath ceremony
- Prakash Javadekar to meet PM Narendra Modi at 4:30 PM today at 7, Lok Kalyan Marg.
- “I have received a phone call from the party president. I express my gratitude to the prime minister for including me in his team,”BJP leader Niranjan Jyoti said.
- “I thank the PM and Amit Shah ji for showing trust in me. I thank them on behalf of the people of Bikaner. PM’s vision will be significant for India. He had said that we want to remove our tag of developing nation & make India a developed nation,” Arjun Ram Meghwal, BJP
- BJP leaders Santosh Gangwar, Jitendra Singh and Nityanand Rai to meet PM Narendra Modi at 4:30 PM today at 7, Lok Kalyan Marg.
- “It’s a very important day for India and the people of the country. I am extremely fortunate to be a part of this ceremony. We should not have false expectation from anybody or ourselves. We should keep doing our job putting right foot forward,” said film director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- Narendra Modi ji and Amit Shah ji have shown trust in me once again and invited me to be a part of this government. I am grateful to both of them: Mansukh Lal Mandaviya, BJP
- Sources suggest that Nirmala Sitharaman, Smriti Irani, Sadananda Gowda, Kiren Rijiju, Piyush Goyal, Babul Supriyo, Kailash Chowdhury, Prahlad Joshi and Arjun Ram Meghwal among others have received the most important calls of the day.
- Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) MP from Bathinda, Harsimrat Kaur Badal and BJP MP from Asansol, Babul Supriyo to take oath as ministers, today evening.
- The ministers who will take oath this evening will meet PM Narendra Modi at 4:30 PM today at 7, Lok Kalyan Marg.
- President of Myanmar, U Win Myint, arrives in Delhi to attend PM Narendra Modi’s oath ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan later today.
- BJP president Amit Shah has begun dialling MPs who will be inducted in the Cabinet today: Reports
- A meeting between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP President Amit Shah is underway at 7 Lok Kalyan Marg.
- Family members of 54 BJP workers who were killed in political violence in West Bengal, arrive in Delhi to take part in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s oath ceremony today.
- Thailand’s Special Envoy Grisada Boonrac arrives in Delhi to take part in PM Narendra Modi’s oath-taking ceremony today. Thailand’s Ambassador to India, Chutintorn Gongsakdi says, “We have come to celebrate India’s vibrant and resilient democracy.”
- BJP national president Amit Shah reaches Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s residence.
- BJP MP Manoj Tiwari commented on West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee not attending PM Modi’s oath-taking ceremony today and said, “Unko aana bhi nahi chahiye. Jaise unhone loktantra mein hinsa karke khoon-kharaba kiya…unke pass nazar kahan hai ki aisi sabha mein baith kar logon se nazar milayen.” (Given the bloodshed in West Bengal in the run-up to the 2019 General election, Mamata Banerjee should not come today. How will she look the PM in the eye after all this?)
- The Prime Minister is believed to be having a sumptuous meal alongwith the newly-elected BJP MPs at his residence ahead of the swearing-in ceremony.
- Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhle receives Prime Minister of Bhutan, Lotay Tshering on his arrival in Delhi. He will attend PM Narendra Modi’s oath ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan later today.
- PM Modi pays homage to martyrs at the National War Memorial.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi reaches National War Memorial.
PM Narendra Modi, BJP president Amit Shah, several of newly-elected BJP MPs pay homage at Atal Sadaiv.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bharatiya Janata Party President Amit Shah pay tribute at Sadaiv Atal Samadhi, the memorial of late Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi pays homage at Rajghat, the memorial of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Pravind Kumar Jugnauth, Prime Minister of Mauritius arrives in India for Narendra Modi and his Cabinet of ministers’ oath-taking ceremony.