New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi reached Ahmedabad on Sunday starting his two-day visit to the state, his home turf- Gujarat. The BJP won all 26 Lok Sabha seats from Gujarat, celebrations for which will be somber, say sources, citing the Surat coaching centre fire tragedy as the reason. A total of 23 students were killed when a fire engulfed a coaching centre in Surat on Friday.
BJP president Amit Shah has also joined him in Ahmedabad.
Modi and Shah landed at the Sardar Patel airport and offered floral tribute to the statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel there.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP president Amit Shah then reached the old State BJP headquarters at JP Chowk in the Khanpur area to address a public meet. The Prime Minister always makes the first speech at JP Chowk after every election victory. The meeting was held to convey his and the party’s gratitude to the people for giving such a massive mandate.
Modi is currently at his mother’s residence in Gandhinagar and will spend the night at the Raj Bhavan.
HERE ARE ALL THE UPDATES:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives at his mother Heeraben Modi’s residence in Gandhinagar.
- We have to utilise these 5 years to solve issues of the common citizens. We have to further enhance India’s position at the world stage. The coming five years have to be years of Jan Bhagidari and Jan Chetna: PM Modi
- After sixth phase of polling, I had said that it is 300 plus for us. When I said it, people mocked me. But, the results are for everyone to see, says Modi in Ahmedabad.
- I am coming back to the land that has nurtured me. I am back to a place with which I have a very old bond: PM Modi in Ahmedabad
- Modi thanks the people of Gujarat for always supporting him, adds, “I am here for a Darshan of the people of Gujarat. The blessings of the state’s citizens have always been very special for me.”
- PM Modi first offers a condolence to the Surat fire tragedy victims and families, says, “The fire tragedy in Surat has saddened us all. We stand in solidarity with the bereaved families. May Almighty give them strength in this hour of grief. The state government is further strengthening disaster management infrastructure across Gujarat.”
- Narendra Modi begins address at the public meet in Gujarati.
- Urging all gathered at the rally to pay homage to those killed in Surat fire, Shah said, “People have come here to welcome us, but today, we should pay condolences to the 22 children who lost their lives in Surat fire tragedy. We should pray to God for them and their families.”
- Amit Shah in Ahmedabad said, “After winning 26 seats (in Gujarat) Narendra bhai has come here, please shout loud so that the voice reaches West Bengal.”
- BJP president Amit Shah now takes the stage and begins his speech with ‘Bharat Mata ki Jai‘.
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani begins address at a public meet in Ahmedabad where Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to speak next.