Kolkata: The Crime Investigation Department (CID) probing the Momo Challenge has revealed that the invites for the deadly game being sent across West Bengal are generated locally. Till now, the cops have not been able to find any evidence which suggests any foreign link to the messages. Also Read - Mandatory Face Mask, 50% Attendance in State Govt Offices: West Bengal Govt Issues New COVID Guidelines
As per DIG Nishant Pervez, no person has approached the police claiming that they have played the first level of the deadly game. He also added that Momo Challenge has not claimed any victim. Also Read - Petrol, Diesel Prices Rise For Second Day Across India: Check Revised Rates in Delhi, Mumbai, Other Cities
The CID officers have taken the help of the cyber cell in preparing necessary guidelines which have been sent to all district SPs and commissioners. Also Read - Election Commission Rejects TMC's Demand For Recount of Votes in Nandigram, Mamata Says Will Approach Court
Notably, maximum invites of the Momo Challenge have been sent out in North Bengal.
The CID officers have also asserted that the news of Momo Challenge claiming two lives at Kurseong in Darjeeling district have not been proved as of yet as no evidence has been recovered.
Earlier on Monday, a small-time businessman in West Bengal’s Birbhum district alleged that he was threatened with dire consequences for refusing to play the deadly ‘Momo Challenge’ game.
In the complaint, Abdul Kuddus said after he had turned down the invitation to take part in the online game, he received a WhatsApp message from an unknown number that revealed his bank account details.
The online game, featuring a grotesque image of a girl with her distorted face and bulging eyes, has made headway in several countries and is similar to last year’s killer ‘Blue Whale Challenge’.