New Delhi, May 4: Bihar Disaster Management Minister DC Yadav has confirmed that there were no casualties in Thursday’s Mohitari bus accident, reported ANI. Earlier, Yadav had confirmed on camera that 27 people had lost their lives. He said, “The information of deaths was wrong. Yes, I said 27 people have died but that was based on information from local sources. I also said that only final report will be considered.” He said, “There was booking (on the bus) for 13 people. Eight were taken to hospital by the authorities, there was no sign of the remaining five, no remains were found. They might have left the spot on their own.”

The bus was on its way to Delhi from Muzaffarnagar and the incident occurred on National Highway 28 near Moga Hotel in Kotwa area, about 75 km from Patna, around 3PM on Thursday. The bus overturned and caught fire when it fell into a roadside pit while the driver swerved in an attempt to avoid colliding with a two-wheeler.

On Thursday, Yadav had gone on to say, “It is a really sad incident. There is a provision to give compensation of Rs 4 lakh to the next of kin of dead in such cases and it will be given.” The bus was reportedly carrying 32 passengers. Only four people could be rescued from the bus, Kotwa police station SHO Vijay Sinha was quoted as saying in media reports.

The incident attracted a lot of attention for its magnitude. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in Karnataka for BJP’s campaign for Assembly elections, expressed his condolences. PMO tweeted, “My thoughts are with those who lost their loved ones due to a bus accident in Motihari. I pray that the injured recover at the earliest.” Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had also expressed condolences.

Meanwhile, Muzaffarpur zonal IG Sunil Kumar had said no human remains were found inside the bus on inspection, said a report in The Times of India. He said ashes recovered from the spot would be sent for forensic examination to ascertain loss of human life. A team of forensic experts had been called at the spot for the purpose.