Mumbai: The Mumbai foot overbridge, a portion of which collapsed on Thursday night killing six people and leaving dozens injured, was earlier in news after 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks. The bridge connecting Chhatarapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) platform 1 north end with BT Lane near The Times of India building was used by terrorist Ajmal Kasab and has been referred to as ‘Kasab’ bridge over the years.Also Read - Sunil Gavaskar Lauds BCCI's Offer of Rescheduling India vs England 5th Test, Says Shouldn't Forget England's Gesture After 26/11 Mumbai Attacks
(Mumbai Foot Overbridge Collapse: List of Deceased) Also Read - Icius Tukarami: New Spider Species Named After 26/11 Martyr Who Caught Ajmal Kasab
At least 166 people were killed and over 300 were left injured when ten heavily-armed terrorists from Pakistan ran a rampage in Mumbai in 2008. The terror attack is regarded as one of the most horrific terrorist attacks on the soil of India. Also Read - Burhan Wani And Ajmal Kasab Were Also 21-Year-Old: BJP MP on Disha Ravi's Arrest
(‘Appeared as if a Powerful Bomb Went Off’: Eyewitnesses Recount Mumbai Foot Overbridge Collapse Horror)
Kasab and his accomplice were photographed on the same bridge by photojournalist Sebastian D’Souza on November 26, 2008. D’Souza won the World Press Photo award for the close-up photograph of Kasab, holding an AK-47.
“I ran into the first carriage of one of the trains on the platform to try and get a shot, but as I could not get a good angle, moved to the second carriage and waited for the terrorists to walk by. I briefly had time totake a couple of frames. I think they saw me taking photographs, but didn’t seem to care,” the 67-year-old was quoted as saying in an earlier report.
On Thursday night, the foot overbridge collapsed around 7:30 PM during rush hour. “The incident took place as the bridge was overloaded with commuters hurrying to their homes”, the BMC Disaster Control said. According to eye-witnesses, ‘it looked like ‘near death experience’ and ‘appeared as if a powerful bomb went off’.
Six persons, identified as Apoorva Prabhu (35), Anjana Tambe (40), Bhakti Shinde (40), Zahid Shiraj Khan (32), Tapendra Singh (28) and Mohan, died in the tragedy. A compensation of Rs 5 lakh to their kin has been announced by Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis. Meanwhile, a high-level committee probe has also been ordered into the incident.