Mumbai: The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Commissioner Ajoy Mehta has ordered the Vigilance Department to submit a preliminary report, identifying the Municipal staff responsible and responsibility of structural auditor for Mumbai foot overbridge collapse incident, within 24 hours.Also Read - Maharashtra Bandh: 8 BEST Buses Damaged, Markets Shut As Normal Life Hit; BJP Slams Uddhav Govt | 10 Points
Meanwhile, the ill-fated foot overbridge connecting Chhatarapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) platform 1 north end with BT Lane near The Times of India building, a portion of which collapse on Thursday evening killing six and leaving several injured, will be demolished completely on Friday. Its slabs were removed on Thursday night. The remaining portions, including metallic frame will be removed today, a tweet by news agency ANI stated. Also Read - Mumbai: BMC Announces Complete Water Cut in These Areas For Three Days | Check Details Here
Earlier in the day, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had visited St George’s Hospital to meet those injured in the tragedy. Later, he asked the BMC chief to fix ‘primary responsibility’ for Thursday’s foot overbridge collapse by Friday evening. (ALSO READ – Mumbai Foot Overbridge That Collapsed Near CSMT is Known as ‘Kasab Bridge’; Here’s Why) Also Read - Don't See Third Covid Wave Hitting Mumbai: Here's What BMC Told Bombay High Court
“It is shocking that such an accident can take place even after a structural audit. Primary responsibility will be fixed by this evening. I have asked civic chief (Ajoy Mehta) to find out names of those responsible,” Fadnavis said. “A high level probe into this incident has already been ordered. Those responsible (for the collapse) will be punished,” he added.
On Thursday, he had announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh to kin of deceased and Rs 50,000 ex-gratia to those injured. He also added that the government will bear the cost of treatment of the injured.
Attacking Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government at the Centre, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) MLA Jitendra Awhad demanded that the multi-billion dollar Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project be scrapped and the money spent on it be invested to upgrade suburban railway facilities in the metropolis and surrounding areas.