Mumbai, Aug 2: Maratha Kranti Morcha (MKM) which has now called the ‘jail bharo’ protest and is pushing for quota for the Maratha community saw quite a few number in attendance at the Azad Maidan. Only 30 people were seen at the protesting ground. Protesters said that police cases against the ones who had earlier taken part in the July 25 bandh, was the reason for the low turnout of people during this ‘jail bharo’ protest.
Protesters were also of the view that strong police force outside Azad Maidan where the protest was held, also acted as a dampener. As per reports, there was also a confusion regarding the ‘jail bharo’ protest as rumours were rife that the protest had been called off. The MKM even submitted a letter to governor Vidyasagar Rao asking for the withdrawal of cases against the protesters. MKM member Amol Jadhavrao added that Maratha youth were being questioned till date. He further said, “In fact, cases should be lodged against chief minister Devendra Fadnavis and revenue minister Chandrakant Patil for provoking the community with their statements.”
The protests started after the state announced the plan to fill 72,000 vacant government posts. Following this announcement, the protesters demanded a time-bound programme for the implementation of a 16 per cent quota for the community in education and jobs. Although the government said that it is waiting for the report of the state backward class commission by the Bombay High Court, the protesters said they had lost faith in the government.
MKM leaders are scheduled to meet in Beed today.