New Delhi: In a major development in Muzaffarpur shelter home scandal, the husband of former Bihar minister Manju Verma has surrendered before District Court Manjhaul in Begusarai, said ANI on Monday. Chandra Shekhar Verma allegedly had links with main accused Brajesh Thakur. As many as 50 live cartridges were recovered from the Verma household when a raid was carried out in connection with Muzaffarpur shelter home rape case. (Also read: SC Seeks Ministry Intervention in Formulating Child Protection Law)
Manju Verma was forced to resign as Bihar’s social welfare minister days after it came to light that her husband was a regular visitor to the Muzaffarpur shelter home where as many as 34 girls were tortured, raped, burnt and starved by operators and visitors.
Meanwhile, Bihar Urban Development Minister Suresh Kumar Sharma on Sunday rejected the resignation demands of RJD and said that Tejashwi Yadav should rather quit as he was named in corruption cases. “People are demanding my resignation. But I have already made it clear that I would resign as minister if my involvement in the case is proved. I am ready to face any punishment for that,” he said.
Only last week, the Supreme Court had pulled up the Bihar government and the CBI and had sought replies from them as to why Verma had not been arrested. The Supreme Court also termed the details of the investigation reports, presented by the CBI, as “shocking, horrible and scary”.
The top court said it may not be appropriate to keep Brajesh Thakur in Bihar jail as he was an influential person. The court also asked Thakur to explain why he should not be transferred to a jail outside Bihar. On October 9, the Patna High Court had dismissed the anticipatory bail application of Bihar’s former Social Welfare Minister Manju Verma.
Over 30 girls were allegedly raped at the shelter home run by Brajesh Thakur, the head of a state-funded NGO. The alleged sexual exploitation of the girls was first highlighted in an audit report submitted by TISS to the state’s social welfare department. An FIR was lodged against 11 people, including Thakur, on May 31. The probe was later taken over by the CBI. The sexual abuse of 34 of the 42 inmates was confirmed in their medical examination.