New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday set aside the Patna High Court order in the Muzaffarpur shelter home case which had restrained the media from reporting on the case, said ANI. The apex court asked media to highlight and report the case in a more responsible manner. The Supreme Court said there cannot be a blanket ban on media reporting in the case where several women were allegedly raped and sexually abused. The court was hearing a plea seeking a stay on the High Court order. Also Read - Supreme Court Dismissed Netflix Plea And Restrained Them From Releasing Bad Boys Billionaires

A bench of Justices Madan B Lokur and Deepak Gupta vacated the August 23 order of the Patna High Court which had imposed a ban on media reporting about the investigations in the case. At the same time, the apex court asked both the print and electronic media not to sensationalise incidents of sexual abuse and violence. Hearing the matter, the court had earlier referred to the Rewari gangrape and asked why no action had been taken against media houses for flouting the law as “everything has been said” about the 19-year-old victim. Also Read - CBI Takes Over Sushant Singh Rajput Case: Here Are The Top Key Points of The Supreme Court Verdict

The top court also stayed a Patna High Court order to set up a fresh CBI team to probe the case, saying that such a move would not only be detrimental to the ongoing investigation but also to the victims. On August 23, the Patna High Court had expressed displeasure over the leak of details of the investigation and asked media to refrain from publishing it as it could be detrimental to the probe. Also Read - Sushant Singh Rajput's Family Issues Statement After SC Allows CBI Probe, Says 'People Involved in Dastardly Crime Will Be Brought to Justice'

Meanwhile, the petitioner, a journalist, had claimed that there was no material before the high court to come to the conclusion that media reporting may hamper the ongoing investigation in the case.

Over 30 girls were allegedly raped at the shelter home run by Brajesh Thakur, the head of a state-funded NGO. The alleged sexual exploitation of the girls was first highlighted in an audit report submitted by TISS to the state’s social welfare department. An FIR was lodged against 11 people, including Thakur, on May 31. The probe was later taken over by the CBI. The sexual abuse of 34 of the 42 inmates was confirmed in their medical examination.