Patna: The Supreme Court on Thursday transferred the trial of Muzaffarpur shelter home case from Bihar’s Patna to the national capital’s Saket POCSO Court. Further, the top court ordered the Delhi court to commence the trial within two weeks and ordered it to conclude the proceeding in six months time.
Further, Chief Justice of India (CJI) Ranjan Gogoi wanted to know why the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officer probing the case, was transferred despite the SC’s order against it. “Was cabinet committee which transferred him informed of Supreme Court embargo?,” asks CJI saying it amounts to violation of its order, while rapping the investigating agency for the same.
“Enough is enough. We will ask Bihar Chief Secretary to appear before us. Get someone here who is conversed to what is happening in the state. You can’t let your officers to treat unfortunate children like this. Spare the children” the CJI said.
The bench said that the court will summon the chief secretary if the state fails to give all information.
Notably, over 30 girls and women were allegedly raped and sexually abused at an NGO-run shelter home in Muzaffarpur. The issue came to light in May last year following a report by the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS). An FIR was lodged on May 31 against 11 people , including Brajesh Thakur, who was running the shelter home. The probe into the case was later handed over to the CBI.
Earlier on December 19, the CBI filed a chargesheet in special POCSO court against all the accused in the case.