New Delhi: Nearly two years after Najeeb Ahmed disappeared from the JNU campus, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Monday filed its closure report in the missing student case.Also Read - CBSE Private Students’ Parents File Review Petition in Supreme Court, Seek Cancellation of Class 12 Board Exams

The CBI filed its closure report before the Patiala House Court in Delhi, which will consider the report on November 29, reported news agency ANI. Also Read - 108-year-old Man Dies Before SC Agrees to Hear Land Dispute Case He Filed Over 50 years ago

On October 8, the Delhi High Court had allowed the CBI to file a closure report and had also asked some media houses to retract from their websites and YouTube certain news reports and videos which allegedly linked Ahmed with the terror outfit ISIS. Also Read - Kerala Extends Coronavirus Curbs by Another Week After SC's Rap on Easing Restrictions For Bakrid

The Delhi High Court had dismissed the allegations by Najeeb’s mother Fatima Nafees that CBI wanted to file the closure report due to “political compulsions”.

A bench of Justices S Muralidhar and Vinod Goel had also dismissed her allegation that the probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) was “tardy and slow”.

The court said if Najeeb’s mother wanted the status report of the probe, she would have to move the trial court.

Reacting to the verdict, Najeeb’s mother alleged that the probe agency “misguided the court”, adding that she will move the Supreme Court against the order.

The CBI had told Delhi HC that it had decided to file the closure report in the missing student case.

“We have taken a decision to file a report under section 169 (release of accused when evidence is deficient) of the CrPC…. We have completed the investigation. We did not want to file closure report before the trial court without bringing it to the knowledge of this court. The court may dispose of the petition today after which we will file the closure report before the magistrate and the petitioner may file a protest petition there, if they wish to,” CBI’s counsel Nikhil Goel said.

Ahmed had gone missing from the Mahi-Mandvi hostel of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) on October 15, 2016, following a scuffle with some other students, allegedly affiliated to the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the previous night.

The high court had on May 16 last year handed over to the CBI the investigation into the disappearance of Ahmed. His mother had moved the high court on November 25, 2016, seeking directions to the police to trace her son.

However, as the Delhi Police remained clueless about his whereabouts even seven months after he went missing, the probe was handed over to the CBI on May 16 last year.

Nafees’s counsel had earlier said the nine suspected students were named in a complaint by 18 students who were eyewitnesses to the assault on Ahmed, yet they were not interrogated.