Dimapur, Feb 1: 2 people were killed and at least 12 were injured as violence enveloped the city of Dimapur and Longleng on Tuesday. Fresh violence erupted due to the Nagaland state government’s announcement of conducting polls in 12 town councils on Wednesday. In the violence, 2 person were killed and 5 were injured while 7 people were injured in Longleng when the police had to resort to firing at the unruly mob. Also Read - PM Modi to Meet CMs on Vaccine Roll-out, SC to Hear Pleas Against Farm Laws, Dzukou Valley Wildfire Under Control And More

The government reportedly announced the polls despite agreeing to defer the February 1 polls and this is what triggered the anger in the people in an already tensed situation. According to Morung Express, a meeting was scheduled by the Joint Coordination Committee (JCC) at 2 in the afternoon on January 31. This meeting was scheduled to take ahead the NBCC brokered January 30 meeting between the JCC and the Nagaland state government ended abruptly after the news of impending polls circulated, Morung Express reported. Also Read - Nagaland's Dzukou Valley Wildfire Likely to be Fully Doused in 24 Hours: Officials

Following this, the people apparently felt betrayed and they called for ‘lighting bandh’ across the state. Soon the JCC announced an indefinite bandh from 6 pm on Tuesday. But reportedly soon youth assembled at the Tenyimi Union Dimapur complex and soon dispersed and headed to the Chief Minister’s Dimapur residence. Soon the police set up barricades at Dhansiri bridge to prevent the youths from arriving, but reportedly they found alternative routes and bypassed the police barricades. Also Read - Watch: IAF Chopper Lifts Water in Bambi Bucket To Douse Forest Fire Nagaland's Dzukou Range

According to Morung Express, initially the police deployed water cannon to disperse the mob, but the mobs retaliated using catapult shots and other projectiles. Report from NH 29 junction of the approach road leading to the CM’s residence is where the confrontation was reported from.

As per reports, a witness said that the police began retaliating with gunfire by 10 pm, following which three injured protestors were admitted to the CIHSR and another was admitted to the ZHRC. In this, one of the dead victims was reportedly brought to the CIHSR and another was brought to ZHRC succumbed to his injuries.

Of the two dead one has been identified as Avizo and the name of the other could not be ascertained. The persons injured in Dimapur were identified as Moa (32), Nokuzo (23), Abenjang (48), Rongsentoshi (63).