New Delhi: The sensational violence in Nagaland that left 14 civilians and a soldier dead on Sunday led to a face-off in Parliament today, with the opposition demanding an inquiry and compensation for the families of those killed. Prime Minister Narendra Modi met senior ministers to discuss the issue.Also Read - Parliament to Run in Shifts for Budget Session: RS to Sit in Morning, LS in Evening Amid Covid Restrictions

Union Home Minister Amit Shah told the Lok Sabha that the central government regretted the deaths of the 14 civilians in the unfortunate incident and offered condolences to families of those killed. “In a bid to avert any more incidents in the affected area, additional forces have been deployed. A press statement has been issued by Army’s III Corps headquarters where the incident of the unfortunate deaths of innocent civilians has been regretted,” he said. Shah also said the situation in Nagaland is tense, but under control right now. Also Read - Budget Session 2022: Covid Rules To Be Implemented Again, President's Address On January 31

Read his full statement here:

“Army had received info on movement of extremists in Oting, Mon. On that basis, 21 commandos laid an ambush in suspected area. A vehicle reached there, it was signalled to stop but it tried to flee. On suspicion of the vehicle carrying extremists, it was fired upon,” the HM said. Also Read - Parliamentary Panel Chairperson Urges Amit Shah To Take Action Against Hate Speech

“Six out of the 8 people in vehicle died. It was later found to be a case of mistaken identity. 2 others who were injured were taken to nearest health centre by Army. After receiving news of this, local villagers surrounded the Army unit, set 2 vehicles on fire and attacked them,” he said.

As a result, one jawan of the security forces died; many other jawans injured. Security forces had to resort to firing for self-defence and to disperse crowd. This caused death of 7 more civilians, some others injured. Local administration and police tried to bring the situation to normalcy: HM

Current situation is tense but under control. On 5th December, Nagaland DGP & Commissioner visited the site. FIR registered & keeping the seriousness in mind, probe handed over to State Crime Police Station. SIT formed, it has been directed to complete probe within a month: HM in LS

After the incident, on December 5 evening, an agitated crowd of around 250 people vandalised the company operating base (COB) of Assam Rifles in Mon city & set the COB building on fire. Assam Rifles had to fire bullets to disperse the crowd. This caused death of one more civilian: HM

Army has taken up investigation into the reasons behind this incident at the highest level, action will be taken as per the law. I immediately contacted the Governor and CM of the state after receiving the news of the incident. MHA also contacted the Chief Secretary & DGP: HM

Situation was monitored yesterday. MHA immediately sent Additional Secretary incharge of the northeast to Kohima where he today held a meeting with the Chief Secretary, other senior officials & senior officials of the paramilitary forces. The situation was reviewed in detail: HM

It has been decided that all agencies should ensure that such unfortunate incidents do not take place again in the future while taking up such drives. Govt is monitoring the incident minutely & necessary remedial measured are being taken to ensure peace in the area: HM in LS

(With inputs from ANI)