New Delhi, May 25: Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his government are set to complete four years in power on May 26. While the NDA government gets ready for a media blitz to highlight its achievements of the past four years, the Bharatiya Janata Party may have something to worry. A survey has revealed that more people believe that the Modi government does not deserve a second chance. The Lokniti-ABP-CSDS Mood of The Nation survey also shows that while PM Modi still remains the most popular leader, his popularity has dipped while that of Congress President Rahul Gandhi has increased.

The Lokniti-ABP-CSDS survey conducted between April 27 and May 17, 2018, says that 47 per cent of the 15,859 respondents, believe that the Modi government did not deserve another chance to govern India in Lok Sabha Elections 2019. According to the survey, 39 per cent people believe that the NDA government should be given another chance while the rest were non-committal.

In July 2013, nine months before the 2014 national elections, the same survey had indicated a similar trend for the UPA government. Back then 39 per cent were against giving the UPA another chance, 31 per cent were in favor while 30 per cent were non-committal.

The survey says that the anti-Modi wave was strong among the religious minorities of India. “About three-fourths of Muslims, three-fifths of Christians and well over half the Sikhs indicated that they do not wish to see the Modi government coming back to power next year,” says the survey while adding that the Hindu votes were divided.

Meanwhile, the survey has also indicated a dip in Modi’s popularity as the choice for PM. According to the survey, in May 2017, PM Modi’s popularity was at 44 per cent, which declined to 37 per cent in January 2018 and is at 34 per cent now. However, Rahul Gandhi’s popularity has increased by 15 per cent between May 2017 to May 2018 and stands at 24 per cent currently.

With Modi government completing four years, the next one year is going to be crucial before the country heads to the 2019 Lok Sabha polls.