Mumbai, Nov 26: Today, on November 26, 2008 Mumbai was attacked by a group of terrorists. Ten Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists came to Mumbai via sea route from Pakistan and carried out series of coordinated shooting in the city. The attack claimed lives of as many as 166 people and injured over 300. On its eight anniversary today, the nation paid tribute to those who laid their lives by fighting against the terrorists. Also Read - West Bengal Assembly Elections 2021: Shiv Sena Extends Support to TMC, Says Won’t Fight in State
Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Devendra Fadnavis and Governor Vidyasagar Rao paid tribute to soldiers at 26/11 police site in Mumbai. Fadnavis said,”I pay homage to policemen who fought for Mumbai’s safety and laid down their lives for us. We are proud of them and will strive hard for safety of our state and also strengthen police force with much better equipments.” Also Read - 'Won't Lose Match As Stadium's Name is Narendra Modi': Uddhav Thackeray's Dig Over Renaming of Motera stadium
Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray, former Mumbai police commissioners Julio Ribeiro, M N Singh and several others were present at the 26/11 police site. Besides, the guests included the widows, orphans and other family members of the martyrs and victims who remembered their near and dear ones lost in the 26/11 attacks, besides train and bus commuters and the common Mumbaikars. Also Read - Girls Stripped, Forced to Dance by Cops; Maharashtra Government Forms Probe Committee
- Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackerey also paid homage at the memorial of Shaheed Tukaram Omble who lost his life in 26/11 attacks.
- More than 2000 students of Mithibai College, Mumbai participated in the ‘peace march’walk.
- CNN-News 18 reported that PM Modi who happens to be in Hyderabad today might address the nation on the eight anniversary of Mumbai attacks.
- School children of Amritsar lit candles to remember and pay tribute to martyrs of 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
- Several other functions, peace marches, memorial concerts and condolence meetings are scheduled later in the day to mark the eighth anniversary of 26/11.
Railway minister Suresh Prabhu tweeted,”Pay my tribute to those who lost their lives in 26/11 Mumbai attacks. Vasundra Raje also tweeted,”Remembering the victims of 26/11 Mumbai attacks with a heavy heart. India will never forget the heroes who fought valiantly that dark night.”
Lasted from November 26,2008 to November 29, 2008, taking lives of 166 people. Places targeted were Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Oberoi Trident, Taj Mahal Palace and Tower, Leopold Cafe, Cama Hospital, the Nariman House Jewish community centre. Ajmal Kasab, one of the terrorist was caught and revealed that the attack was carried out by members of Lashkar-e-Taiba, he was later hanged.