New Delhi, Sep 2: A Japanese government probe has confirmed the death of legendary freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose which since long has been a mystery for a million people. A classified 60-year-old Japanese government document on Netaji death states that he died in a plane crash in Taipei on August 18, 1945. The reports will be released later this month, confirming the Indian leader’s death, reported TOI. Also Read - 'Tribute to India's Bravest Sons': Twitter Remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev & Rajguru On Shaheed Diwas

The report titled ‘Investigation on the cause of death and other matters of the late Subhas Chandra Bose’ is a seven-page report in Japanese and a 10-page translation in English reveals that Netaji met with an air crash and died at a Taipei hospital the same evening. It was also stated on the website that the report was completed in January 1956 and submitted to the Indian Embassy in Tokyo, but since it was a classified document, neither side released it. (ALSO READ: No proof of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose’s death in plane crash: US report) Also Read - Utair Boeing 737 Crashes on Belly in Russia, All 100 Passengers, Crew Safe

Following demands by Netaji’s family members and his close associates, the government in India began declassifying hundreds of files related to Netaji Bose from January this year. With these revelations came into limelight, Netaji’s Germany-based daughter Anita Pfaff had expressed her displeasure this year that many in India continue to believe “asinine” theories that he survived the crash, according to Hindustan Times. She now wants India to bring his ashes from Tokyo to India. Also Read - 2020 Tokyo Olympics Organisers Slam Coronavirus Rumours, Say Global Event Will Go Ahead

In the report there is a mention of an incident which says, “Immediately after taking off, the airplane in which he (Bose) rode fell to the ground, and he was wounded.” ”About 3.00 pm, he entered the Nanmon Branch of Taipei Army Hospital… and about 7.00 pm he died,” it adds. The seven page report also states that on August 22, Netaji was cremated at the Taipei Municipal crematorium.(ALSO READ: Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose lived as K K Bhandari in Shalumari Ashram, suggests declassified file)

In a more detailed description of what occurred, the report says “after the plane had taken off and risen about 20 metres above the ground, one petal of the three-petaled propeller of the left wing was suddenly broken, and the engine fell off”. It continues “the airplane, subsequently unbalanced, crashed into ballast piles, beside the strip of the airport” and “was wrapped in flames in a moment”. It then narrates “Mr Bose, wrapped up in flames, got off the plane; Adjutant Rahmin (Colonel Habibur Rehman) and other passengers exerted themselves to take his clothes off”, but “his whole body was seriously wounded by burns”, the report reveals.(ALSO READ: Japan to declassify 2 crucial files related to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose by 2016)

Ashis Ray, creator of and London-based grand-nephew of Bose, said, “This is yet another decisive breakthrough. There is now no reason why the Government of India should not accede to Bose’s daughter Anita Pfaff’s request to transfer her father’s ashes from Tokyo to India.” The report was said to be completed in January 1956 and submitted to the Indian Embassy in Tokyo, but since it was a classified document, neither side released it.  “An unimpeachable authority like the Japanese government has independently corroborated and vindicated’s previous chronicling of events”, he added.

The report mentions that Shah Nawaz Khan led inquiry instituted by the then Indian Prime Minister, Jawahar Lal Nehru, investigated the matter later in 1956 and reached the same conclusion as the Japanese government. Ray further said, “I am reliably informed Japan’s diplomatic archive plans to release the document at the end of September. A copy of the document has been given to the Indian government. The fact is the Indian Embassy in Tokyo and the Ministry of External Affairs in Delhi had misplaced the copy given to it in 1956.”