New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday performed the Bhoomi Pujan ceremony, after laying the foundation stone of the new Parliament House building. Notably, the new structure will spread across 64,500 sq metres, replacing the existing 93 years old Parliament house, after it is built. The new building is likely to come up by October 2022. About 200 people including some other Union cabinet ministers and ministers of state also participated in the ceremony through live webcast. Modi, however, was physically present at the function near India Gate. Also Read - ISRO’s PSLV-C51 Rocket Set to Blast Off on Sunday Carrying Bhagavad Gita, PM Modi’s Photo | Countdown Begins
Here are the LIVE updates: Also Read - India Toy Fair 2021: 'Use Less Plastic to Make Toys,' PM Modi Tells Industries
14:38 PM: Democracy is a culture in India. Democracy is a life value, a way of life and the soul of the life of the nation for India. Democracy of India is a system developed with the experience of centuries: PM Narendra Modi Also Read - Breaking News Updates: Price of Coronavirus Vaccine in Private Hospitals Capped at Rs 250 Per Dose
14: 30 PM: If the old Parliament House gave direction to post-independence India, the new building would become a witness to the creation of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’: Prime Minister Narendra Modi
14: 25 PM: Old Parliament building gave a new direction to India after independence. New building will be a witness to building of Aatmanirbhar Bhaarat. In old building, work to fulfill necessities of nation was done. In new building, ambitions of India of 21st century will be realised: PM
14:20 PM: I can never forget the moment in my life when I had the opportunity to come to Parliament House for the first time in 2014 as an MP. Then before stepping into this temple of democracy, I had bowed my head and saluted this temple of democracy: PM Modi
14: 18 PM: This is a day of pride for over 130 crore Indians when we are witnessing this historic moment. The new Parliament building is an example of the co-existence of the new and the old. This is an effort to make changes within oneself in accordance with the time and needs: PM Modi
14:16 PM: Today is a historic day as the foundation of the New Parliament building has been laid. We the people of India together will construct this new building of the Parliament: PM Modi
14:01 PM: In the last 6 yrs PM Modi laid the foundation of a modern, strong, prosperous & self-reliant India with the inclusion of our proud history. In this continuation, today is a very important day: Union Minister HS Puri at foundation stone laying ceremony of new Parliament building
13:44 PM: The PMO said that the new building is an intrinsic part of the vision of Aatmanirbhar Bharat and will be a landmark opportunity to build peoples’ Parliament for the first time after independence.
13:25 PM: Prime Minister Modi unveils a plaque to mark the foundation stone laying ceremony of New Parliament Building in Delhi.
13:19 PM: Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, foreign Envoys and Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla also present at the foundation stone laying ceremony of the new Parliament building.
13:13 PM: Foundation stone laying ceremony of the new Parliament building is underway. Tata Trusts’ Chairman Ratan Tata, Union Minister HS Puri, Dy Chairman of Rajya Sabha Harivansh & various religious leaders also present.
13:04 PM: Prime Minister Narendra Modi lays foundation stone of the new Parliament building.
13:02 PM: Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the foundation stone laying ceremony of the new Parliament building.
All You Need to Know About New Parliament Building:
1) The dimensions of the Lok Sabha in the new Parliament House will be three times as big as the present one. The size of the Rajya Sabha will also increase.
2) Tata Projects Limited will construct the new Parliament House over a total area of 64,500 sq metre. The design has been prepared by HCP Design, Planning and Management Private Limited.
3) According to officials of the Ministry of Urban Affairs, the new Parliament House will be in sync with the sensibilities and aspirations of a new India on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of Independence in 2022. It will be built keeping in view the needs for the next hundred years so that there is no difficulty in increasing the number of MPs in the future.
4) According to the ministry, the new Parliament House will be equipped with sophisticated technical features such as a solar energy mechanism. The new triangular shaped building adjacent to the existing Parliament House will be equipped with state-of-the-art security features.
5) The décor of the new building will have an eclectic mix of influences from Indian culture, regional arts, crafts and architecture. The design plan includes a central Constitutional gallery that will be open for the general public.
6) The new building will have high quality sound and audio-visual facilities, comfortable seating arrangements and emergency evacuation arrangements. The building will adhere to the highest structural safety standards that can even withstand the tremors of an earthquake.
7) PM Modi will perform Bhoomi Pujan of the new Parliament House in a ceremony also likely to be attended by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pralhad Joshi, Housing and Urban Affairs minister Hardeep Singh Puri and Rajya Sabha deputy chairman Harivansh Narayan Singh.
8) The estimated cost of the proposed Parliament is expected to be about Rs 971 crore.
9) The new Parliament building is a part of Modi’s plan to rebuild the central Vista in New Delhi that houses iconic buildings including the Parliament, Rashtrapati Bhavan, the Prime Minister’s official residence, and the India Gate.
(With agency inputs)