New Delhi: At least nine Indians were present when the ghastly New Zealand mosque shootings took place and claimed the lives of almost 49 people. Two Indians- Farhaj Ahsan and Musa Wali Suleman Patel _ who were receiving treatment at a hospital succumbed to their injuries on Saturday.Also Read - Govt To Bear Travel Expenses Of Indians Stranded In Ukraine: Report

The family of Ahsan has confirmed that he died while undergoing treatment and so has the brother of Musa Wali Suleman Patel, Haji Ali Patel. Both Ahsan and Patel were injured in the shootings. Also Read - Padma Shri Award 2021: Kangana Ranaut, Karan Johar Among 119 Recipients This Year

Ahsan’s father Mohammed Sayeeduddin had earlier requested the Government to search for him since they couldn’t trace him after the incident. Sayeeduddin had said, “My son went to the mosque to offer Friday prayers. He has not returned yet. About 17 people are still missing. I request the Government to find about the whereabouts and well being of my son.” Also Read - Independence Day 2021: India Sets Record As Over 1.5 Crore Indians Upload Videos Singing National Anthem

The brother of Patel, hailing from Gujarat’s Bharuch, had said, “My brother and his wife had gone together to the mosque. My brother was shot in the back and was rushed to hospital by police. My sister-in-law followed him to the hospital but wasn’t allowed to meet. They are not informing her anything. My brother is in critical condition. I urge the Central Government, PM Modi, EAM Sushma Swaraj, and Gujarat CM to help them reunite.”

The Indian High Commission said that it had been pursuing with local authorities whereabouts of seven Indians and two Indian-origin persons after the terror attacks on two Christchurch mosques.

Another Indian, a Hyderabad-native, was also critically injured in the incident and was battling for his life at a hospital. His family had reportedly appealed the Central and the Telangana government to expedite the visa process.

The victim, Ahmed Iqbal Jahangir, ran a restaurant in Christchurch and had been living in New Zealand for the past 12 years. He has a wife and two children, aged 3 and 5 years.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern had condemned the incident calling it as ‘one of darkest days for New Zealand’ and unprecedented violent crime.